Client: R.H. Cazalet
Listing: Grade II* (main house)
Now known as Bannut Farm House or Bannut Tree House.
Pevsner's Worcestershire (with Alan Brooks, 2007) says:
BANNUT TREE HOUSE (originally Walnut Tree Farm), 2/3m m WNW [of Castlemorton]. Dated 1890, the first medium-size country house by C.F.A. Voysey; L-plan, with great emphasis on horizontals, mullioned windows, and big roofs, their almost detached gutters on this curved brackets. But the main (garden) front, S, has four even gables with half-timbering, a motif Voysey later more or less discarded. The upper floor is jettied out, though this is disguised by the picturesquely detailed chimney, L, by typically sloping buttresses, by the projecting garden porch, and also by the nice solution of the R corner, where the ground-floor window bay is polygonal but the floor above just out at a right angle. End gables again half-timbered; E front of the service wing with more pronounced horizontal emphasis. On the N entrance front the tiled roof sweeps down to low eaves, with a large roughcast gable in the angle; broadly gabled porch on sloping piers.
The plan is simple: a corridor along the entrance side at both levels, with the stick-balustraded staircase, E end; three reception rooms along the S front. Most original fittings survive.
Opposite the entrance front, forming an open court-yard, the contemporary stable block, rectangular and also decidedly horizontal. Typical rear buttresses continue as a boundary wall towards the c17-c17 cottage. Minor alterations by Voysey, 1894, when he laid out the garden.
Image from The British architect, December 14th 1894.
Page last amended 5th August 2021