Home > About Voysey > Buildings > Oakhurst

Oakhurst, Ropes Lane, Fernhurst, Haslemere, Sussex

Date: 1900

Client: Mrs E.F. Chester

Listing: Not listed

 
Oakhurst

The entry in Pevsner's Sussex: West (with Elizabeth Williamson, Tim Hudson, Jeremy Musson & Ian Nairn, 2019) reads:

FERNHURST. ESE of the main village are some unusually good early C20 houses: 3/8m ESE, off Ropes Lane, is OAKHURST (now divided in two, one Ropes and one Bollards), by Voysey, 1901. Long, low, roughcast, with Voysey's characteristic shallow windows, with large grid-like mullioned and transomed window to the hall, and paired gables facing the lower terraced garden; all built into the hill, with Voysey's judicious use of topography for additional drama, the narrow gable-ends soaring up from the terrace – in similar integrated spirit to Voysey's Hurtmore (later New Place, Haslemere, Surrey). Voysey was apparently initially employed by two sisters, Mrs Chester and Miss Coats (daughters of a Paisley cotton and thread industrialist), but after moving in, they fell out. Miss Coats bought land on the other (W) side of the lane, and employed J Percy Hall to build ASHURST, c1904, ... .

Photograph by John Trotter.


Page last amended 5th August 2021