Home > About Voysey > Buildings > New Place

New Place, Haslemere, Surrey

Date: 1897

Client: A.M.M. Stedman, later known as Sir Algernon Methuen

Listing: Grade II (main house)

 

Originally called Hurtmore.

The entry in Pevsner's Surrey (with Ian Nairn and Bridget Cherry, 1971) reads:

NEW PLACE ... built in 1897, a good and very typical Voysey house. Long and low, roughcast and slate-roofed, not small enough to look over-designed, not so big that Voysey felt bound to complicate the severe lines with extra details, as he did at Norney; very successful. There used to be a similarly direct Garden Seat, now destroyed, and the same feeling is evident in the Garage at the entrance – one segmental arch under a big steep gable. Gertrude Jekyll collaborated on the garden.

Also by Voysey a Lodge next to the garage, and a pair of Cottages in Polecat Lane, W of the house. The latter, of 1903, look a good deal altered.

New Place

Image by John Trotter.


Page last amended 5th August 2021