Client: William Taylor, a Victorian entrepreneur who founded a lens making company with his brother in Leicester in 1886.
Listing: Grade II
Originally called Brians Hill.
"Laboratory wing built 1920, main block in 1935 with Taylor making some alterations to Voysey's plans. Roughcast rendered brick with stone dressings. Collyweston stone flagged roof with 3 ridge stacks. Blue-grey brick plinth. ... The site of the house was chosen by Taylor in connection with his experimental designs for dimpled golf balls." – Historic England listing description.
"Voysey's last house to be constructed and the only design for a complete new building to be executed after the Great War." Yet, he "was not retained to build the house and we just cannot tell if he was even aware that the research laboratory wing was in fact built in the early 1920s and almost certainly unaware that the main house was finally constructed as late as 1935. By this time, both architect and client had been out of touch for over a decade." – Richard Hollis.
Photograph © Andy Haigh.
Page last amended 4th November 2021