Chronology

This chronology is compiled from a number of reference sources.

Wherever possible, building entries link to more information about both the client and the building itself, including:

At present, only Voysey's known executed buildings are included. The photographs are derived from a variety of sources and do not necessarily portray the current appearance of the building concerned.

See also our Biography section.

Corrections and amendments to the chronology are welcome. Please contact us.


How to use this page ...

Browse the chronology in sequential date order,

or look at a Google map of Voysey's buildings in the UK,

or search this whole web site and other related sites with our custom search engine.


The chronology

1857CFA Voysey born on 28th May to the Reverend Charles Voysey and Frances Maria Voysey at Kingston College, Hessle in Yorkshire.
Return to top
1864Charles Voysey appointed vicar of Healaugh near Tadcaster in North Yorkshire, church now called St John the Baptist.
Return to top
1869Charles Voysey prosecuted for heresy by Archbishop William Thomson and loses his case at the Chancellor's Court of the Diocese of York.
Return to top
1871Charles Voysey was finally deprived of his living following hearings at the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council, moved the family to Dulwich in south London and founded the Theistic Church in Swallow Street, off Regent Street in Mayfair.
Return to top
1872CFA Voysey attended Dulwich College for 18 months, then completed his education under a private tutor.
Return to top
187411th May, articled to the Gothic Revivalist architect John Pollard Seddon (1827-1906); worked on country churches and learned the art of decorative design.
Return to top
1877Started taking own commissions for minor house alterations and surveys.
Return to top
1879Went to work for Henry Saxon Snell (1830-1904), who specialised in the design of hospitals and charitable institutions.
Return to top
1880Joined office of George Devey (1820-86), an active member of the Theistic Church who specialised in the design of country houses.
Return to top
1881Set up own practice at 8 Queen Anne's Gate, London.
Return to top
188225th March, moved office to Broadway Chambers, Westminster, apparently with cousin Richard Annesley Ellison Voysey [see also 1884].
Return to top
1883Began to design wallpapers and textiles, at the suggestion of A.H. Mackmurdo (1851-1942). First design sold to Jeffrey & Co.
Return to top
1884Elected (5th December) as a member of the Art Workers' Guild, founded in April of the same year.
Partnership with cousin Richard Annesley Ellison Voysey dissolved on 1st February. They had been trading as "Voysey and Voysey" architects and surveyors at Broadway Chambers.
Return to top
188524th June, first home and office at 7 Blandford Road, Bedford Park, London; 30th July married Mary Maria Evans.
Return to top
188824th June, moved home and office to 'Staumoor', 17 Tierney Road, Streatham Hill, London.
 
Exhibited at the first exhibition of the Arts & Crafts Exhibition Society at The New Gallery, 121 Regent Street, London.
 
Designed first complete built work: The Cottage in Bishop's Itchington near Warwick for M.H.J. Lakin [photograph ; Theuerkauf archive].
Return to top
1889 Exhibited at the second exhibition of the Arts & Crafts Exhibition Society at The New Gallery, 121 Regent Street, London.
 
Return to top
1890 Designs exhibited by others at the third exhibition of the Arts & Crafts Exhibition Society at The New Gallery, 121 Regent Street, London.
 
Designed:
Return to top
189125th March, moved home and office to 11, Melina Place, St John's Wood, London.
 
Designed:
Return to top
1893The Studio magazine launched: Voysey illustrated the cover.
 
Exhibited at the fourth exhibition of the Arts & Crafts Exhibition Society at The New Gallery, 121 Regent Street, London.
 
Work exhibited at the World's Columbian Exposition (Chicago).
 
Designed:
Return to top
1894Designed:
Return to top
1895Blue plaqueMoved home and office to 6 Carlton Hill, St John's Wood, London. There is a blue plaque on this site.
 
Part of sub-committee responsible for arranging Art Workers' Guild, First Exhibition.
 
Began designing for Tomkinson Carpets of Kidderminster.
 
Designed:
Return to top
1896 Member of the Arts & Crafts Exhibition Society (ACES) and its committee and exhibited at the fifth ACES exhibition at The New Gallery, 121 Regent Street, London.
 
Designed:
Return to top
1897Designed:
Return to top
1898Designed:
Return to top
1899Set up office 23 York Place, Baker Street, near Marylebone Station.
 
Member of the Arts & Crafts Exhibition Society (ACES) and its committee and exhibited at the sixth ACES exhibition at The New Gallery, 121 Regent Street, London.
 
Designed:
Return to top
1900Exhibited at Leeds City Art Gallery, Arts & Crafts Exhibition, 'Metalwork'.
 
Work exhibited at Exposition universelle (Paris).
 
Designed:
Return to top
1901Designed:
Return to top
1902Work exhibited at Prima Esposizione Internazionale d'Arte Decorativa Moderna (the First International Exhibition of Modern Decorative Arts, Turin).
 
Joined an Art Workers' Guild group visit to the Netherlands, his first overseas trip.
 
Designed:
Return to top
1903 Member of the Arts & Crafts Exhibition Society (ACES) and its committee and exhibited at the seventh ACES exhibition at The New Gallery, 121 Regent Street, London.
 
Designed:
Return to top
1904Work exhibited at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition (St Louis).
 
Designed:
Return to top
1905Exhibited at Art Workers' Guild, Third Exhibition.
 
Designed:
Return to top
1906Published Reason as a basis of art (full text available (PDF, 2.5MB), reproduced with permission from the copy owned by Exeter University Library)
 
Exhibited at the eighth exhibition of the Arts & Crafts Exhibition Society at The Grafton Gallery, Bond Street, London.
 
Work exhibited at the New Zealand International Exhibition (Christchurch).
 
Joined a second Art Workers' Guild group visit to the Netherlands.
 
Designed:
Return to top
1908 Exhibited at the Franco-British exhibition at the White City, London.
 
Designed:
  • Iron grille with inscription on tomb of 1853 dedicated to Ada Augusta Lovelace, wife of the Earl of Lovelace and daughter of Lord Byron, in Kirkby Mallory churchyard, Leicestershire, and repairs to church [photograph].
Return to top
1909Founding member of the Imperial Arts League (for which he later served on its Council) and of the Design Club.
 
Designed:
Return to top
1910 Exhibited at the ninth exhibition of the Arts & Crafts Exhibition Society at The New Gallery, 121 Regent Street, London.
 
Designed:
  • conversion of a barn at Holmbury St Mary, Surrey, into a convalescent home for F.J. Mirrielees, now a house called The Old Barn [photograph].
Return to top
1911Designed:
  • House (also known as Voysey House or Dallas) in Belfast, Northern Ireland, for Robert Hetherington [Theuerkauf archive].
Return to top
1912Designed:
Return to top
1913Moved office to 25 Dover Street, then on 30th July to 10 New Square, Lincoln's Inn.
 
Work exhibited at Exposition universelle et internationale (Ghent).
 
Designed:
Return to top
1914 Exhibited at the exhibition of British Arts and Crafts organised by the Arts & Crafts Exhibition Society in Paris.
 
Designed:
Return to top
1915Published Individuality.
Return to top
1916Exhibited at the eleventh exhibition of the Arts & Crafts Exhibition Society at the Royal Academy, London.
Return to top
1917Moved home and office to flat at 73 St James's Street, off Piccadilly.
Return to top
1918Sought work from textile manufacturer Alexander Morton owing to "terrible plight" financially.
Return to top
1919Designs included in the War Memorials Exhibition at the Royal Academy of Arts, London.
 
Designed:
  • conversion of coach house into cottage, Haslington Cottage at Malvern Wells, now called Cob Nash, for Major G.A. Porter [photograph];
  • alterations and additions to Hambledon Hurst, The Green, Hambledon, Surrey, for A.H. van Gruisen.
  • War memorial in Malvern Wells, Worcestershire [photograph].
Return to top
1920Designed:
Return to top
1921Designed:
Return to top
1924 Elected Master of the Art Workers' Guild.
Return to top
1927 An important series of articles on Voysey were published in The Architect and building news (vol.117): ‘C.F.A. Voysey: the man and his work’, in five parts. Full text available.
 
Dinner given in honour of Voysey's 70th birthday by the President and Council of the RIBA, with award of a certificate.
Return to top
1928 Exhibited at the fourteenth exhibition of the Arts & Crafts Exhibition Society at The New Gallery, 121 Regent Street, London.
 
Return to top
1929 Elected Fellow of the RIBA (PDF, 22KB), on the nomination of RIBA Council.
Return to top
1931Exhibition of work at Batsford Gallery (full transcription available, PDF, 91KB) under auspices of Architectural review; article on Voysey in same journal by John Betjeman (full text available).
Return to top
1936Awarded title of Royal Designer for Industry by the Royal Society of Arts.
Return to top
1940Awarded Gold Medal of Royal Institute of British Architects.
 
Moved to live near son Charles Cowles-Voysey in Winchester.
Return to top
1941Died on 12th February in Winchester. Ashes scattered at Golders Green Crematorium.
Return to top

Principal sources

  • Stuart Durant, CFA Voysey (Academy Editions, 1992), pp.139-41
  • Wendy Hitchmough, CFA Voysey (Phaidon, 1995), pp.230-34
  • Duncan Simpson, CFA Voysey : an architect of individuality (Lund Humphries, 1979), pp.149-51
  • Voysey's own autobiographical notes

Return to top


Page last amended 12th October 2018